The Provincial Executive 2020-21
ANTHONY HOWLETT-BOLTON OBE
Provincial Grand Master
Anthony was born in 1952 in Buckinghamshire and has two sons, five grandchildren and two dogs. He lives in Chalfont St Peter. He is a keen photographer and gardener and maintains a keen interest in the law – both criminal and civil – as well as International Security and Justice reform.
Anthony spent several years as an International Senior Strategic Security and Justice Advisor with the UK Stabilisation Unit. He gained a first-class BA from the University of Reading and is a Fellow of Chartered Management Institute and The Security Institute.
Anthony was awarded an OBE in 2016 for his work with ex-offenders through the Langley House Trust.
He was installed on 26th February 2018 as The Provincial Grand Master of Berkshire by the MW the Pro Grand Master. Anthony’s progress in Freemasonry was:
- Initiated into Sandhurst Lodge in 1980 but due to work pressures had to resign and re-joined in 2007 and was Master in 2010
- Joined Berkshire Masters in 2011 and held the office of Lodge Mentor in 2014
- Joined the Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge in 2012 following his appoint as Steward and held the offices of Junior Deacon & Secretary
- Joined the Sandhurst Royal Arch Chapter in 1983 but, once again due to work pressures had to resign and re-joined in 2008 and was First Principal in 2011. He joined Berkshire First Principals in 2012.
- Joined the Mark degree in 2015 and is a member of Caduceus Lodge of Mark Master Masons. He is also a member of the Antient & Accepted Rite (Rose Croix)
- Provincial Grand Steward 2011
- Provincial Mentor 2014
- Provincial Assistant Grand Master 2015
- Provincial Deputy Grand Master 2016
- Junior Grand Deacon 2016
- Provincial Grand Master 2018
Royal Arch Honours
- Past Grand Sword Bearer of the United Grand Lodge of England 2017
- Provincial Grand Standard Bearer in Berkshire Royal Arch 2014
- Grand Sojourner 2018
Deputy Provincial Grand Master
Peter was born in 1948 and is married to Tina and they have three daughters and, so far two grandchildren. The family home is near Maidenhead. Apart from managing the family business, Peter relaxes by extensive dog walks and looking after the fabric of the house.
Peter has managed the family business in Maidenhead for over 50 years and has taken an active part in the business life of the town. He has been Chair of the local Citizens Advice Bureau, President of the Maidenhead Chamber of Commerce and Chair of the Berkshire Valuation Tribunal. He is also Chairman and Trustee of the Louis Baylis Charitable Trust which owns the Baylis Media Group.
Peter was invested as the Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Berkshire on 26th February 2018 by the new PGM and in the presence of the MW Pro Grand Master. His progress in freemasonry is as follows:
- Initiated into Berries Lodge in 1971 and was Master in 1979 and in its centenary year 2002.
- Exalted into Ellington Chapter in 1978 and was First Principal in 1989 and 1990. Joined Berkshire First Principals in 1991 and was First Principal in 2013
- Advanced into Jersey Mark Lodge in 1974 and was Master in 1985. Founding SW of Linden Acre Mark Lodge in 1981 and was Master in 1985
- Elevated into Jersey Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners in 1979 and was Commander in 1987. Founder of Linden Acre Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners in 1984 and was Commander in 1987. Founder of The Berkshire and Oxfordshire installed Commanders Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners in 1994 and was Commander in 2006
- Is also a member of Rose Croix, Knights Templar, Royal & Select Masters and The Royal Order of Scotland.
- Past Grand Sword Bearer of UGLE
- PPGSN 2008
- PGM of Berkshire Mark 2007-12
- Deputy PGM 2018
Assistant Provincial Grand Master
Robin was born in 1959 and is married to Julie. They live in Reading and have three grown up sons. Robin is also a very active member of The Scout Association and holds adventurous activities permits for mine exploration and climbing. He is a keen church goer and is a Children’s Church and Youth Alpha leader. Robin runs his own marketing and business development consultancy to small and medium businesses, primarily in the technology sector.
Robin was invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master on 26th February 2018 by the PGM in the presence of the MW Pro Grand Master. His progress in Freemasonry is as follows:
- Initiated into Kennet Lodge in 1985 and was Master in 1996.
- Joined Berkshire Masters Lodge in 1996 and Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards’ Lodge in 1990 when he was appointed a Provincial Steward.
- Exalted into Charles Nicholl Chapter in 1993 and was first Principal in 2016 and 2017
- Advanced into The Charles Wilkinson Lodge of Mark Master Masons in 1999
- Joined Thames Rose Croix Chapter in 1997 and was MWS in 2000
- Has served as Secretary of Kennet Lodge and Berkshire Masters Lodge, editor of The Link, and Provincial Communications Officer.
- Provincial Junior Grand Warden 2011
- Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies of UGLE 2014
- Assistant Provincial Grand Master 2017
- Past Senior Grand Deacon of UGLE 2018
Assistant Provincial Grand Master
Matthew (49) was initiated into Aldworth Lodge No. 5191 in 2002, he became its Master in 2007. He was appointed a Provincial Grand Steward in 2009 and a Provincial Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies between 2012 -2018. He was appointed to Grand Rank within the United Grand Lodge of England in 2017 and became Master of Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge in 2019. A member of the Royal Arch, he was installed as MEZ in Reading Old Boys Chapter No. 3545 In March 2020. He is also a Mark Mason, being a member of Caduceus Lodge.
Born, raised and educated in Berkshire, Matthew is a married man who lives in Berkshire and has two children who are both at University. After a period working in construction, he joined the family business and had the experience of working with his Grandfather, Father, Uncle, Mother, Brother, Cousin and Wife. Thankfully (he advises) not all at the same time! The 5th generation business, now led by his brother, wife and himself, will in a few years celebrate its 200th anniversary.
Running and kayaking are squeezed into Matthew’s busy schedule and he can be regularly seen on the water or running on the tow path before work.
Provincial Senior Grand Warden
Paul is 60, married to Gill (a retired teacher of the deaf), with two daughters (both teachers). He has spent 30 years in Human Resources, with various companies in the financial services and hi-tech sectors, before retiring in 2015. Apart from collecting antiques and motorcycling, he works part time in a veterinary biomedical business. He is a Fellow of the Linnean Society, with a particular interest in mammalian ecology.
He was initiated into Thatcham Lodge No. 8121 in 2001, becoming Worshipful Master in 2007. He has been a Provincial Grand Steward and Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies. He is a member of the Royal Arch, Mark and RAM, The Ancient and Accepted Rite and Royal & Select Masters.
“My role will be to assist the Provincial Grand Master with the execution of his duties, and to be an effective role model for the Province by displaying high standards and leadership. As a Member of the Provincial Grand Master’s Council I will represent or accompany the Provincial Grand Master at several Installations and Provincial Grand Lodge meetings, which may occur during my year in Office. Above all, I intend to enjoy the honour and have fun!”
Provincial Junior Grand Warden
Les is a retired business development manager, qualified as an Electrical Mechanical engineer, specialising in industrial instrumentation in the oil and gas industry.
He has a son and daughter, both living in the United States, and daughter living in the UK, with grandchildren in both countries.
He was initiated into Bullbrook Lodge No 7967 in 1988 and is currently the Secretary of Enborne Lodge No 7906. He is a Founder Member of the Berkshire Country Sport Lodge No 9810. He has passed through the chair in all three Lodges.
His hobbies (family and Provincial duties permitting) include clay shooting and golf.
He has been a Provincial Senior Grand Deacon, Provincial Grand Sword Bearer and at present, he is the Provincial Assistant Grand Secretary.
“Being appointed to the position of Provincial Junior Warden in this special province of Berkshire, is both a privilege and an honour. With that position comes a responsibility to support our Provincial Grand Master and Provincial Executive, in attending several installation meetings, team visits, consecrations, etc.
It is going to be a very busy year for me, but I intend to enjoy it. I look forward to visiting as many Lodges as I can.”
Provincial Grand Secretary
WBro Laurence Fretwell, from Khalsa Lodge No. 9743, has been appointed Provincial Grand Secretary this September.
Laurence was initiated into Freemasonry in Epping Forest Lodge in 1986. He has extensive experience in the Province of Essex at both Lodge level and Province. He was appointed a Provincial Grand Steward in 2002, Past Provincial Senior Grand Deacon in 2006 and PPGSwdB in 2015.
Laurence’s masonic career in Essex has been more than matched by that in Berkshire where he was made a Provincial Grand Steward in 2006 and Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies in 2010, chair of the Dark Blues in 2013 and then Provincial Senior Grand Warden in 2018.
Also, he is DC of Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge 9381, founding Asst Secretary of Khalsa No. 9743, founding DC of Constructors’ Lodge No. 9947 and is acting Secretary of Lord Desborough Lodge No. 3200.
In Royal Arch, Laurence has had a more active career in his home province of Essex. He was MEZ of his mother chapter in 2005 and 2006, received the rank of Past Provincial Assistant Sojourner in 2011 and was promoted to PPDepGSwdB in 2017. In Berkshire, he is a member of Friendship & Care Chapter No. 8802 – having been MEZ in 2016.
Outside Freemasonry his family and business interests keep him very occupied. He has three children and became a grandfather in 2014. He is also a strong supporter of CLIC Sargent Charity – UK’s leading cancer charity for young people. He also restores classic cars – currently owning three MG sports cars.
Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies
Jim was born in 1964 in Northampton and is married to Francine. They have two children and live in Englefield Green, Surrey. Jim is a lifelong season ticket holder of Northampton Saints RFC, motorcyclist and keen fly-fisher. He is a Freeman of the City of London and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers.
Jim has a long successful career holding Executive positions in various Technology and software businesses.
Jim was invested as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies in September 2018 by the RW Provincial Grand Master. His progress in Freemasonry is as follows:
- Initiated into Sutton Coldfield Lodge in the Province of Warwickshire in 1994 and was Master in 2004
- Joined Old Windsor Lodge in 2005, was Master in 2007 and is Lodge Mentor
- Provincial Honours as Provincial Grand Steward in 2009 & joined Berkshire Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge where he is Director of Ceremonies
- Provincial Honours as Past Provincial Junior Grand Deacon in Warwickshire in 2010
- Exalted into Windsor Castle Chapter in 2005 and was 1st Principal in 2013
- Joined Berkshire Masters in 2013
- Advanced in Cranley Lodge of Mark Master Masons in 2013
- Promoted to Provincial Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies 2013
- Provincial Principal Grand Sojourner 2016
- Past Grand Standard Bearer of UGLE 2018
- Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies 2018